Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Couple

Last week when I was in Melbourne, I made a dinner arrangement with my ex schoolmate Will and Karan. They are now happily married with 2 kids. When I arrived at the lobby of their apartment, Will and Karan came down to greet me, then as we walked into the lift, they looked at each other hoping one of them carry the key to the lift and room. However, both of them did not carry, as they were taking things for granted - he or she will carry the keys.

There is no backup key kept anywhere else especially to their room. Will started to feel agigated and then panicked and wasn't very happy at Karan. He started preaching how many times he has told her not to be so careless and went on and on! I can felt the tense between the 2 of them while we were standing in the lift. But what surprises me was, Karan remained calm, in fact she didn't rebuke and she just smile. Then later when Will calmed down, Karan kinda admitted both of them were at fault and should not take things for advantage.

I believe most couple has experienced the same scenario before. However, I think what Karan does did work, in fact Will admitted later - the 2 couple has to have certain traits to work hand in hand in their relationship. The whole scenario in the lift can turned out to be worst than I expect, however, the couple was so natural in handling the issues. Hence if the couple has similar behavior or traits, I believe it make it harder to handle.

No comments: