Sunday, October 24, 2010

Muay Thai Boxing @ Bangkok

I have been to Bangkok a lot of times but never been to a Muay Thai. Last night, my colleague who enjoy boxing was interested to go, so we just did it. The ticket was kinda pricey and the local only needs to pay less. (No wonder the cab driver insisted to buy the ticket for us, which I refused!)

As we got there, we were contemplating whether to sit near the ring side or sitting on the wooden steps. We decided to get the cheaper ticket. To our surprise, below the steps are very filthy, lots of junk food and cans laid beneath the steps. The ringside was obviously better but I can live without it.

When the show started, another surprise just hit me. We found the fighter were very small kids, I think 15-16 years old. Very small size weight 100lbs each. There were 2 sets of families and coaches supporting the 2 fighters. Cheering and clapping so that they will attack their opponent quicker and better. All in all, I was a bit disturbed with the fact the fighters were so young. It made me feel like child labor and I don't support that.

As for the fight, it was rather brutal as they seems unprotected on the ring. Few times we saw one of the boy swing his leg and it hit the side of the opponent. Another used his knee and kicked the side of the rib cage and at one point one boy just fell and could not stand up. However, the betters and many foreigners sitting there treating them as a sports, while I have a different feelings on this entire experience.

No comments: