Sunday, June 26, 2011

I am only H-U-M-A-N !!!

Last night I took a family of 4 to a dinner. I want to repay their kindness by inviting them to a decent looking restaurant. When we reached there, I asked what do they want to eat. The family seemed to be a bit shy with the decision. However, we managed to conclude we wanted BBQ pork/Roast duck plate, Seafood Tofu pot, Stir Fried beans, and Steamed Barramundi (fish). The captain wrote on a piece of paper and gone to the kitchen.

Right after the order, the waiter came up with a big pot of soup welcoming our arrival. So it was well distributed. We took some the additional and we emptied it. My first sign of moodiness appeared when the waiter asked us do we want more of the soup! Somehow I didn't know what ticked me off, I said, if it's empty then take it away! In my mind, I don't know why they asked that question.

Then 15 minutes later most of the dishes arrived. When it came to fish, while the waiter cutting the fish, he dropped the spoon onto the soy sauce which soaking the fish. He dropped the spoon a few times, and he dipped his fingers into the sauce! I was annoyed. I felt he was washing his fingers in the sauce. I kept silent, but I told myself to calm down.

After 3 dishes has arrived, then the stir fried beans didn't show up. I asked the captain and he told me it was not in the order. I tried to contain my temper and this time I said to him, 'One of the captain wrote it, why are you asking me if it was ordered? Can you ask the person who wrote it?' Few second later, the captain showed up and he said it wasn't in the order. Since I was buying, I calmly asking my guests do you still want the dish. My guests said it's OK! Then I turned to the captain and ask if they serve Desert instead. The captain said no they don't do it.

In the end, somehow, I felt embarrassed about it. Then I remained silent but I know I am growing toxic within myself. The captain reacted and said we will give free fruits, then he walked away. Few minutes later, the waiter who served us came to us again. He said is there anything else coming else we will clean the table. I can't contain my little annoyance and I said to him in a sarcastic way, 'Well if you guys don't plan to give us any free fruits, then take everything you can from my desk, then give me a cheque. Is that difficult?' They walked away in silent.

Few minutes later, they came back not only fruits but bowls of black beans desert and some cakes. I think they got my message. I wasn't proud of my flare but I am only human! A dinner well meant for the family was annoyed with little things. I can choose to ignore but I didn't!

No comments: