Sunday, November 7, 2010

Meeting a professional counsellor.

As part of my course, I was required to arrange and meet up with a professional counselor. Prior to the meeting, I have to think some of my current issues which I need to discuss with him. On top of that, I felt a bit worry, because I am not ready to hear him saying to me, 'You are not qualified for the job'! However, I have to do it else I am not able to pass my subject!

On that day itself, I was 15 minutes late. I became worried because I wasn't sure what to expect out of this meeting. When I reached there, I met this elderly looking man who rather friendly and approachable, however, things were kept formal. From the way he dressed, the distance in the session room, the way he addressed his questions. Basically, I felt there were no social niceties, but more of down to the business.

The counselor used a few tactics like paraphrasing, summarizing my messages, and empathizing my stories. At the end of the day, I felt heard and validated. I told myself to achieve that I really need to brush up my 'lingo' and able to empathize and relate the story in a correct frame. Overall it was a nice experience and turned out to be interesting.

6 comments:

Bahija said...

You have said all these CORRECTLY. I also realized that in order to be a good counselor, linguistic skill is so important. As of now, I always lost in class, coz I don't understand what my lecturer said , some words so changgih .... my exam is Dec 5, I need to act like a counselor, apply all the techniques - aiyuh ..... nak mati. Dah failed one quiz liow ...
yours really cool, get to meet with a pro yea , FREE ker ???

Bahija said...

counseling is not an easy job la .... coz we are human , susah ..

Anti-Ringgit said...

In Australia u r covered by Medicare. Also, our company has an employee benefits where I can see a counselor up to 6 times per year. So it's free. When it's not free, the counselor may charge AUD70-90 per hour. Not bad hor!

Bahija said...

In Msia, counseling session ranges from $100 and above leh .... also not bad , provided it's popular la. still, i tak suka this role...

Anti-Ringgit said...

Oh really .. can you find out to what level of education I need to practice counseling in Malaysia?

Bahija said...

Wei, I need counseling liow , Beh tahan , super beh tahan ....Gestald la , REBT la , this that la , aiyuh , before i exam, i kuku liou :(