Thursday, November 11, 2010

What my names means?

I remembered few years ago when I was giving a class in Tokyo, there were at 25 students sat in the room. Since it's hard to remember all their names, I gave them a folded piece of paper and get them to write their names. It's also easier for me to call out their names when I have questions without being rude.

After the students placed all their names on the desk, I started to read out one by one. I came across an interesting one, Mari Otada. I said 'Your name Mari means 'Come', as in come over. (Mari in Malay language). Then another lady raised her hand and asked me, how about me, what does my means. The name said 'Ria Tamure', and I said 'Ria means 'Happy'! The class starting to feel intrigue, and wanting their own names means in Malay. Quickly a man raised his hand, how about mine, how about mine with excitement. I read and it said 'SAKAI'. I told him, it's better for you not to know :P

No comments: