Thursday, April 21, 2011

What went wrong with my job?

I took up a new role 2 months ago, and now that I didn't like it. I asked myself why? Is it because it's tedious and I want to run away from it? However, I tried to sit down and think calmly what went wrong.

First, before I took the job I had set my expectations clear to the hiring manager. I need to have personal time to study. However, it turned out the job demanded more and most of the time I didn't have the energy to keep up with my readings. Hence, I started to protest inside me because I have to adjust my priorities.

Second, I like to foresee the outcome. However, this job though I can plan in the beginning but as days go by, I realised a lot of things are beyond my control. I tried very hard to push for completion, however, it's a cycle. It went on and on for few times, same thing same question same answer, but nothing is completed. It became mundane. Every month, the more cases piling in and in the end it became a snowball. I wish I can close some cases before I move on, but not this job. In the end, more personal time needed to follow up.

Third, the leader's style and my style clashes. I like to plan and be consulted before we size up the effort. I see this as fair as our voice is heard. However, the leader is impatience. The preferred method is do it now, and iron it out as we go along. However, with poor planning, more time is consumed and the productivity went down.

Fourth, the job requires a lot of manual calculating on spreadsheet with a very complicated theory. This would take up a few days before I can complete a complete spreadsheet for one case. But on top of the snowball and other ad hoc tasks, the calculation takes longer time. It became tedious and time consuming. I became bored and dislike the task.

I ask myself what can be done to make this job better?

First, I feel we need to look into how to make our task more productive and not mundane.

Second, how can we influence the case to close before the next one role start otherwise the burden became heavier and heavier.

Third, why can't we use a simplified formula and save all the long hours to achieve something which may not be used later.

Fourth, consult the team before making a decision so that we felt we are understood by the management the effort is needed. Committing on our behalf would not help.

Lastly, I feel for my behavior. I need a people manager and not a task master that do not want to come down to our level.

The dateline is always there, but I given a choice, I do not want to torture my own mental.

No comments: