Saturday, February 21, 2009

Oscar 2009 .. who is the winner?

Who will be the winner?? I am a movie freak so obviously who is the winner for the Oscar tomorrow makes me excited. I have seen most of the Best Picture nominees, Slumdog Millionaire, Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Button, The Reader and Milk.

Slumdog Millionaire - I would rate 7 out of 10. It's a good feel movie and the only movie which is very uplifting among all of them. Since I go to India quite a bit, I could relate some of the life of these street kids. You wonder why they have to live this way when you see them in India.

Frost/Nixon - I would rate 7 out of 10 too. Suprisingly good especially it keeps you at the edge of the seat. Who's going to win in the national TV debate? Frost or Nixon? It's a pity Martin Sheen was not nominated for 'Best Supporting Actor'.

Benjamin Button - I would rate 6 out of 10, though many people like the movies. I think my problem was it's too long and I lose the interest to appreciate this movie.

The Reader - I would rate 8 out of 10. A lot of nudity in this movie but the acting was superb. I prefer Kate Winslet acting in 'Revolutionary Road' though. The ending makes me very upset. Why give one's hope when you will snatch it away. This linger in my mind for a long time.

Milk - I would rate 6- 1/2 out of 10. Sean Penn is good no doubt, but I think it's time to pass the Oscar to somebody who is not potraying a real life character? The movie has a very uplifting message in the end.

And if I would hand the Oscar to .. it will be ..... 'The Visitor'! In fact one of the low key movie I really adored. Not shown in most Asia's cinema'. Good actings from all the casts. The ending was soooo moving but at the same time renewed a life. I really like Richard Jenkins and Hiam Abbas. I hope Richard Jenkins will be the odd to win Best Actor :)

No comments: