Monday, February 23, 2009

Will you live in Australia ... forever?

Yesterday, I was sitting at the cafe having a chat with Anthony. We talked about work and the crisis in the world. He then asked me, will you make Australia your home?

In fact, there have been many times I was asked the same question. My answer will be 'No' at this moment. Don't get me wrong, Australia is a beautiful country with multi cultural races. However, my fundamental issue with this country at this time is 'values'.

I have been brought up by a family with strong Asian values. We respect the elderly, be nice to the people we are dealing with, and show manners when you are out there. Some people that I came across may see these as supression or you are living like a 'loser'.

Whether I like it or not, that's the issue I am facing now. I find the people particularly in Sydney and Melbourne not friendly. For instance, at work. I notice some of the people could not look pass my look and recognise my abilities to do my job. Or people choose to push back when confronted with a question, which in reality they should accept the responsibilities. Also, I find not many people like to be apologetic here, because it's just not right! They like to apply the Rule of the Jungle, the fittest will survive. I thought we are in 21st century where we are literate and globalised?

I will not claim Asian values is the best values, but I believe in tolerant and compromise. However, right now, I don't see that here in this phase of my life.

1 comment:

Bahija said...

Tu la , Balik Kampung ! ur homeland is not that bad after all :)