Sunday, June 17, 2012

Vietnam, go, going, gone

I am back to Hanoi and Saigon this month. I still remembered when I first landed in Vietnam, I felt like I am back to my childhood place, where things are still laid back and friendly faces everywhere. Also, there are so many buildings and old districts with old architecture that make both Hanoi and Saigon different. However, since the last few years, things became to change. First, I noticed more food and souvenir stuffs getting more expensive. Young people are very fashionable now, although it's not as same par with developed countries yet. Properties prices skyrocketing, and Rolls Royce are rolling on the crawling street. I guess, it's a good sign where prosperity is flowing into the country. However, like everywhere else, there is a price. The inflation is getting higher here. New buildings are replacing the older ones, and the traffic has turned from bad to worse. Half of me, think it was a positive thing that could happened to Vietnam. Progressing and competing in the economy arena. Half of me, feeling bad that the modernization will snatch things which we may not recover later. While changes are inevitable, I will not let these stop me from savoring the goodness of Vietnam. Friendly faces and kind people. I just wish the country or even my own country will retain their culture and weed out people of extreme greed which may turn the country with a large poverty gap.

No comments: