Monday, January 16, 2012

Encik Shukri the cab driver

Since I travel quite a bit in the past, I have a regular driver call Mr N. However, when Mr. N is busy, he will dispatch his friend Encik Shukri to pick me up from home.

When Encik Shukri drove me to airport, we constantly talk about the people in general. How people became greedy, and putting their interest before others. A dog eat dog world. It wasn't unpleasant at all, but just a reminder of the state of the world today, and what we can do or not do to further contribute to these matters which we viewed as madness. He has a very funny way of delivering his sentence, funny but sometimes double meaning. There was a hint of disappointment especially in his laughter. And when he laughed I can tell he was wearing dentures :))

Encik Shukri also shared with me his relationships with his sons, and the ideals for them, however, he knew sometimes the future is up to the children in the end. In general Encik Shukri was rather chatty but he has certain ethical values which you need to pay attention to. The sole breadwinner for the family so working hard was the only choice. He has to put in a lot of hours till midnight in which he preferred to meet the family needs.

Today, I received a SMS from Mr. N. He told me if I would like to contribute to a tabung for Mr. Shukri. For him, he has passed away, and Mr. N thought he died because of work exhaustion. He has been constantly working at night and got back home at wee hours feeling tired. I can only remember the last time I saw him could be 3 months ago. After he dropped me at the airport, I told him to stay happy, and I will see him soon (depending on Mr. N's arrangement). Now I believe it won't happen. For me, only a memory was left behind. May the creator be with you Encik Shukri.

No comments: