Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I saw 'The Cha Boh' aka The Lady

I have been contemplating for 3 days whether I should watch 'The Cha Boh'. One of the reason was because a lot of critics didn't like it. They felt the story was boring. However, I thought to myself, I must show some support to the Burmese, and at the same time to my fellow Malaysian Michelle Yeoh. Finally, yesterday I convinced myself to watch it. Was it good?? Well, it was good. The pace was not really boring, however, I think they tried to follow Aung Yang Suu Kyi (ASSK) struggles religiously. My only complaint was towards the end, I lost the momentum, after knowing she was house arrested, then released, then house arrested, then relaxed again. I can only go so much for that suspense. However, that was the historical facts, it's really not the film makers' fault. Michelle Yeoh and all the casts were wonderful. I was moved by a few scenes. I felt choked in my throat and I actually feel saddened by what the Burmese has to face in their life. They want to breakfree for unfairness, yet, their destiny can never be changed. ASSK was urged to represent them, a voice, a symbol for their fight. I was particularly inspired, by 2 pivotal scenes. First, when she addressed to the Burmese for the first time. You can feel everyone sees hope in ASSK. It was such a moving scene. Second, was the Nobel price giving. She would like to listen to her family's voice, and she could only cluthed on the battery operated radio. After the speech, Bach's 'Air' was played, and she played her piano alone (with a maid) in the dark on the same song. It was a triumphant and tears of joy. I am sure everyone has their own expectations, however, The Lady hasn't failed me. I give it a 4 stars out of 5!

No comments: