Thursday, January 27, 2011

The tax levy for Queensland.

Just today, I heard if you are working in Australia, there will be this tax levy for the recent flood disaster in Queensland. The government need money to rebuild the state of Sunshine. What it means in lay man term, on top of your current tax, there will be additional tax. If you earn 60K a year, you will be tax around AUD3 a week. And if you earn 100k annually, you get tax of AUD5 a week.

Now, is that fair? The nation is debating on this, and some say the government is like a robin hood. Taking money from others to support the flood victims. According to the government, spending has been cut and channel some of those fund for the re-building. This in the end, will delay the country from paying the debts they already have.

What is my view on this? At first I think it's a good thing to do. After all, it's a national disaster, and fixing this problem is important. However, what bothers me is the taxes in Australia is already so high and yet, still do not have enough to rebuild a state.

I really don't mind about this levy for now, as I see the need. However, my greatest concern is this tax levy may become a habit for the government. People always used the history to justify their actions which is not always a best reason. It;s just a plain excuse for their incompetency.

No comments: