Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My solution to your spoilt kids!

Tonight we have guests from Penang visited us. The couple has 2 young daugthers. During dinner, we were listening to some stories of this girl who were brought up by a single mom, came as an exchange student living with the Penang family. They mentioned how spoilt this young girl and has very big ego. To her there is no law above her as her mom loves her very dearly. She will gives in everything for her only daughter. After listening to the story, all I can said they had just created more monster to the society.

The Penang couple then start to talk about their daugthers and hoping they don't became like her. I then offered a solution to them. I find telling kids about life is really a waste of time. You have to make them witness other people's life for themselves. I offered them ... India. I had witnessed countless young kids begging on the street, some with lifeless babies on the mother's hand, or a young mother with a chopped arm. They don't need your Apple Ipod, or your latest handphone in the market. All they need is a dime to keep them alive for an extra day. If this does not move your kids, nothing else.

I personally do feel, many of these encounters humbled me and think twice on how I view other people's life. There are many people who are richer than me, but I may not appreciate what I have today if I have not been to India. Money may buy you comfort, however, the kids in India made me wiser in life.

No comments: