Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas spirit ..maybe not for all

I rushed to Takashimaya, Singapore today and met up with a colleague for lunch. We had dim sum at Crystal Jade and we talked about my upcoming trips to London. We also discovered they will be a big sale in London on boxing day and most of the branded stuffs going on sale.

I noticed around the city everyone was busy doing their last minute Christmas shopping. All I can see is they are spending money without blinking their eyes, no matter the ages or races or countries they come from. Ka Ching everywhere!

After lunch I walked passed an aisle of Robinson at Orchard road. From distance I saw an old lady, weak, very old, pale and wheelchair bound. She does not look like those can snapped you on your head. She has a box of tissues packs on her lap with a manila card showing 30cents. I walked passed her at first just like anyone else. I often find most of us can indulge in big brand names and best restaurant but yet we often turned our back on a poor lady who is trying to sell a tissue. Yes there are many of them just like the poor ladies in the cities but what is 30cents to you? Theoretically she did not beg, but she tries to sell you a tissue. I turned to her again after second thought and gave her a dollar and took a tissue pack from her.

After 100m away from the lady, I started to think. What is wrong with Singapore, or even me? I wonder do we became more and more blinded after we are more successful? Is it because we are ashamed if we buy a tissue from a poor lady? I was affected by the poor lady. Simply because at her age she should be enjoying her life, with or without struggle. She should not become a public display like these. Where are her kids? What can the all rich government does for her own citizen? By punishing them because there were less educated and not successful when they are younger? Are you happier now? Do you feel less ashamed after punishing them?

At the same time, I remembered reading a book where every individual has a calling. A calling to tell you what can do best and enjoy the meaning of life at the same time. We are here with a purpose. I wonder what is my purpose and also since I am always affected by these people, should I do something about it? Will my life be richer by doing so. I should ponder on this .....

No comments: