Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Bridge

If you have visited Jakarta, you may come across a bridge from Nikko (now Pullman hotel) to Plaza Indonesia. I need to use that bridge whole of last week because from the hotel I stayed I am required to walk to the mall which has eateries for dinner. Few nights when I walked on the bridge I noticed some boys, mother and baby, or an elderly woman sitting across the bridge begging for money. Its not really a very colorful or jovial sight to be seen.

After my first walk passing there, I don't feel giving them cash, instead the next day I carried fruits in my bags and passed to them when they approach me. The first one I saw is a mother with a boy. The boy was playing on the floor, while the mother was begging. I asked if she needs an apple, and I put my arm out. She humbly asked his boy to drop everything on his hand, clean his hand, and asked him to walk towards me. Even begging, I feel the mother wants to maintain a certain integrity too.

The second one, is a boy sleeping on the floor. I noticed he was disabled. He is skinny and lying on the floor with his arms covering his eye (very hot and sunny and dusty). I walked toward him, and I called him, "Would you like an apple". I can see he hasn't bathed for days, and he gave me a very innocent smile and said, 'Thank you pak'. Indeed he was a bit shy and surprised.

Everyday, the bridge has hundreds of people passing by. I am sure there are kind Samaritan may give them some money to survive. I guess we are all taught charity begins at home, however, an apple a day, we may do a lot of soul a lot of favor. I do wish everyday, I can pass that bridge and drop some food. For some of us, it's self-indulgent, but for them across the bridge, they merely just want to see another brighter day.

No comments: